Only 23 sleeps left of 2017 😱😱😱. The new year is just around the corner.
This time of year often brings with it reflection. Refection about the years gone by and the one we’re just about to leave as well as the one we’re heading into and the future beyond it.
So why do we need to reflect?
The life we live is a journey and along the way we learn new things. Developing the habit of reflection can:
- Help you learn from your mistakes
- Give you new ideas
- Give you perspective
- Can make you happier – it can help you to remember the things that have gone well or that you have achieved
- It can help you to help others
Because we are learning every day it is impossible to remember absolutely everything. Taking some time out to reflect and write things down is a really good way of documenting the things you are learning on your journey, that might be useful later or may benefit someone else.
Reflection can help you begin to think through questions like: What do I want to achieve? Where do I want to go? Who do I want to spend my time with? etc.
Here’s the thing we don’t have to wait until December 31st to start thinking about it.
Why not make space for it now? Carve out some time in your day, go to your fav spot, grab a notebook and some pens, have a hot drink, play some background music and just stop. (ok that might be the best way for me to do it, yours might be different and that’s ok too.)
If you looking for some questions to make the most out of your reflective time try some of these : -
- What went well?
- What didn’t go well?
- What did I learn?
- What do you have to be thankful for?
- What one sentence describes your year?
- Who were your most valuable relationships with?
- What do you need to leave behind?
- What do I want to take with me into the next year?
- Which values you want to enhance?
- Which skills you want to adopt or master?
- Which qualities you want to improve on?
- Pick a word or phrase that you want to sum up the coming year
- what can I do to look after my physical/social/emotional/spiritual wellbeing?